Language services

Are you experiencing a communication barrier when it comes to understanding life insurance?

A communication barrier is anything that affects your ability to understand or be understood.

This could be difficulty with understanding English if it is not your first language, or having hearing or speech problems that could lead to misunderstanding.

If you need to get in touch, please contact us.

Contact Us

How could this affect you?

TAL recognises some of our customers may require additional support when engaging with us. These might include people with a disability, speech or hearing impairment, or those from a non-English speaking background.

We aim to make our products and services easily accessible to everyone. If you need extra help communicating with us, we have a number of services available to empower you to access life insurance and feel confident you understand your policy and inclusions, and supported should you need to make a claim.

How we can help you if English is not your first language

Translation Services

For our non-English speaking customers, the Australian Government offers a free Translation and Interpretive Service (TIS).

This can be accessed by calling TIS on 13 14 50. TIS will organise a translator for the language you require, then they will call us. TAL will cover any costs associated with the service.

Pre-booked phone interpreters can also be arranged in advance of an appointment. Please speak to your TAL Customer Service Representative or Claims Case Manager.

How we can help you if you have a communication disability

National Relay Service

We use the National Relay Service (NRS) to ensure we are accessible to our customers who have a hearing or speech impairment.

To access a TAL telephone number:

  • TTY (Text Telephone) users—phone 13 36 77 then provide the TAL phone number you wish to contact.

  • Speak and Listen (speech-to-speech relay) users—phone 1300 555 727 then provide the phone number you wish to contact.

  • Internet relay users—visit the National Relay Service website and provide the phone number you wish to contact.

Resources for more information

For more information to help you with communication barriers, here are some helpful links:

Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is an interpreting service provided by the Department of Home Affairs for people who do not speak English and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English-speaking clients.

Multilink provides community services to diverse communities focusing on migrants, and culturally and linguistically diverse communities.

Services Australia is an Australian Government page offering information in your language about life in Australia.

NDIS provides options for people who need help with English or who have hearing or speech loss.

Back to top